“Code Océan”, a new educational experience
The “Code Océan” program – investigation at the heart of plastic pollution (www.code-ocean.org) was developed in 2021 by the association Plastic Odyssey and the Fondation de la Mer, in partnership with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.
It offers young people aged 8 to 15 (cycles 3 and 4) the opportunity to follow the Plastic Odyssey expedition and to become in turn explorers of new solutions to stop the leakage of plastic into the ocean.
The “Code Océan” investigation course takes you on an investigation into the heart of plastic pollution thanks to:
- an educational path organized around 5 exploration fields: the Ocean, nature, the laboratory, the city, and the scouts, with thematic “information sheets” and “experiment sheets” to complete,
- an interactive virtual platform with a high-quality design for a unique immersive experience,
- a survey booklet for young people aged 8 to 15,
- Multimedia resources that will be added to as the Plastic Odyssey expedition progresses,
- a complete teacher’s guide with turnkey experiments.
A program accredited by the French Ministry of Education
The Fondation de la Mer has signed a framework partnership agreement with the French Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, as part of the promotion of equal opportunities and sustainable development.
The educational “Code Océan” tool is referenced on the Eduscol platform.
An official launch on September 23, 2021 in Brest
The Atelier des Capucins in Brest will host the Plastic Odyssey Village during their French Tour, which precedes the ship’s departure around the world.
- From 2 to 3 pm: Presentation of “Code Océan” to 4 classes and live video from the boat. The 4 classes are CM1-CM2 from different schools, selected by the city of Brest.
- From 3 to 4 pm: Visit of the “Plastic Odyssey Village” with workshops animated by the associations Surfrider and Utopia.